Ken Alexander-2 wrote:

> OK, this is SLOWLY starting to come together for me (as most things do).
> I see they also sell the interface with the Voip feature included.  Is
> that Voip connection going to be good enough to use PSK-31?  I guess
> that'll depend on the quality of the connection.  The big question is how
> do I send CW?

It will depend to an extent on the codecs (audio compressors) used. But
people have decoded the PSK31 from the remote online receivers (e.g. the
ones in Holland) and they will be using compressed audio for sure. What the
IMD would be like from PSK31 transmitted over a VoIP link is something that
needs further investigation.

But actually the K3 uniquely has a solution that avoids any such problems,
because it has PSK D and FSK D modes that generate PSK31 and RTTY from
computer commands (KY command) so you don't need a sound card at all. You
can do this with KComm now (and it solves the problem of how you send CW,
too.) All it needs (hint, hint) is a command that allows KComm to get the
decoded text back from the K3 without disabling all CAT operation.

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html