From: Brian Machesney <nekvts...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Elecraft] K3: Noisy Receiver? - not here!
To: "Elecraft Email" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Date: Thursday, December 17, 2009, 12:40 PM

Gents,

On the flip side, I - and, apparently, many other operators from whom
we've heard on this and other reflectors - have run the K3 for 30+ hours out
of a 48-hour contest and not experienced the fatigue you describe. Such
fatigue would make any rig an intolerable chore to use and would detract
substantially from the rave reviews the K3 has received in contesting
circles.

I agree with other post-ers to this reflector that I frequently find myself
reaching to turn DOWN the RF gain control (I operate with
factory-supplied AGC defaults). In this respect, I don't find anything WRONG
with the K3, but I do find it to be DIFFERENT and I have had to modify my
listening habits to accomodate that difference, just as I have had to do
when changing radios in the past.

We all appreciate that igs from different manufacturers have different
"sounds;" I would describe the K3 as "less soft" than the TS850, "more
precise" than the FT1KMP and "similar" to the Omni VII (I lack experience
with Icom beyond using the 706MkIIG mobile). Now that I think of it, this
appears to track the evolution of DSP from "none" to "very low IF" to
"higher IF."
73 -- Brian -- K1LI