Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:

> Hello Hector,
>
> What´s about this W9AC mod?  Why do you need it and why not the radio have
> this feature done from the Elecraft company if the radio will be better
> with
> this mod?
>
> I hope to not need to do mods on the K3.!
>
> I have an old TS850 with many mods, but my idea for a new radio is to be
> great from the company that made them and no need to do MODS on it!...

Hola Jorge,

You will not need to modify a new K3.  The mod was implemented around S/N
3010 last April/May.  New unit S/Ns must be approaching 4000 by now.

One of the advantages of owning Elecraft products is that the company allows
you to update (via firmware and hardware mods) your K3 to the very latest
production S/Ns, if you desire.  I do not know of other manufacturers allow
this so easily, especially considering the problems of shipping boat anchor
rigs like the IC-7800 or FT9000.  I have two K3s (#1361 and #2183) and both
are fully up-to-date with the lastest production, except for the much
discussed DSP mod (which I'm not yet convinced I need).

All the discussion about "noisy RX" reminds me of the same for Orion for
several years.  I truly believe the answer lies in the operator...not the
radio.  If the K3 had much worse S/N, you would not see top contest
operators like K5ZD making these statements:

"The K3 worked great all weekend.  Incredible receiver.  Actually made 40
meters
fun!  Wish I had bought one of these a year ago.  Now I have to figure out a
way
to get a second one."

I have but one suggestion regarding the comments about the K3 noise...set
your AF gain to 9-10 o'clock and turn your RF gain back until the background
noise is a comfortable level.  Learn to use the radio correctly!

73,  Bill