Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:

> Hello Hector,
>
> What´s about this W9AC mod?  Why do you need it and why not the radio have
> this feature done from the Elecraft company if the radio will be better
> with
> this mod?
>
> I hope to not need to do mods on the K3.!
>
> I have an old TS850 with many mods, but my idea for a new radio is to be
> great from the company that made them and no need to do MODS on it!...

Just Google "W9AC Hardware Mod" and you will find the information here:
http://n1eu.com/K3/k3audiomod.htm . I don't know if it is the same mod as
now on the updated DSP board but the author states that "Elecraft may offer
a replacement board for those who don't wish to make the mod" so I am
guessing that it is.

Most products evolve and improve over their lifetime. With some products you
would probably never know about this unless you studiously compare the
schematics of different versions.

There are two ways of looking at this. You can think that it is good the
information about these mods is out in the open giving you the opportunity
to update your K3 if you wish. Or you can think it bad that these mods
needed to be made at all.

I don't think they *needed* to be made, because people were happy with the
K3 without these mods. They are just improvements. My K3 #222 still works as
well as it always did. It may not work quite as well as the ones coming out
of the factory now, but the only way to avoid that problem is never to buy
anything until just before it becomes obsolete...

-----
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222.
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html