LS,

I've built both the K1 and K2, but only after having constructed numerous
simpler kits.  The K2 doesn't require any additional skills, there is just
about 4 times as much to build as the K1. In turn, the K1 is about 4 times as
much to construct as a simple single-band QRP rig.  I completed the K2 one
section at a time over about a two month period.   Would encourage you to build
something easy like the dummy load, or even a cheap single-band QRP transceiver
before tackling the K1 or K2.  Either one of these is a lot of money invested.

Am curious about the K2 "meeting needs" better than the K1. If you are wanting
SSB, then besides the K2 you'll need to build the sideband board as well.  The
K1-4 is a wonderful QRP CW rig, easy for park bench portable or from the main
QTH.  OTOH, wondering if a basic K3 wouldn't provide the same capabilities as a
fully loaded K2 with less building and little more cost?

73, Curt KB5JO