From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Merv Schweigert
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:11 PM
To: AB3EN
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Elecraft Amps

I have no doubt that a full featured 1.5KW output SS amp with tuner yada
yada
would be in the 10,000 or over category.
And I am sure there is a limited market for that,  but look at how many
Ameritron
amps are sold,  the SS series,  I have replaced finals in many of the ALS
series amps.  there is nothing special or exotic about those amps,
making a kit
that used the same type finals,  was truly breakin capable, had proper
cooling,
and in a same size matching cabinet as the K3 would not be difficult at
all.
I do not see any problem for any one who can assemble a K2 to build an amp
kit,  it would be much easier.  And sales would be 10 times more than a 1.5
KW amp at the higher price.  Cover 160 to 6 meters.
I would be interested in one just for a driver for my homebrew amps.  the K3
at 100 watts in insufficient,  so I use an Alpha 99 with the K3,  and it
works
QSK etc fine.  Close match to the K3 also, black with white labels.

My only suggestion to Elecraft is to not leak any new products until
they are
very close to release,  outsiders and some insiders are getting the opinion
that if a product is "announced" you can figure a year to 1 1/2 years
before you can
actually own it.  Not a real good reputation.  May work for a product
like the
K3 one time, but repeats on "delays" will kill the goose that laid the
golden
egg.
Merv KH7C

> As Paul said "Personally, I'd love a small (500w or 600w) solid-state
> amplifier kit
> that I can build myself (a *real* kit, with soldering iron and
> everything!). "
>
> Amen! A kit with soldering would keep the cost down and give us K3 folks
> something to make smoke with!
>
> My vote is yes for small solid state kit.
>
> Dan
>
> -----
>
> Dan AB3EN

01:35:00