Gang:

Let's keep this conversation away from being a QRP vs. QRO, VK vs.
W/K, etc. and admit up front that all power levels have their place. It
would seem out of place to run U.S. legal limit on 40 cw ragchewing up
and down the coast, etc. But then a small amp at 300-500W can be useful
to keep the idiots from encroaching on your frequency.

I have had a Tentec Hercules II amp for about 10 years now. In that time I
ended up ignoring the Titan completely. (It finally was sold to N7TR
as a fixer!) The Herc II is remote bandswitched with the OmniVI series
and could easily be done so from a K3 with the Elecraft KRC2, etc.
Having said that (one would think I am pushing for the 500W Elecraft
amp...), I found the Herc II just a little underpowered in contest
situations. So, from my view, a KPA800 or KPA1000 would be perfect. I
have other amps and other transceivers but tend to pair amps/xcvrs by
manufacturer (FT1000MP with Quadra, OmniVI with Herc II, etc.). My K3
would love to have an 800 to 1000W afterburner in Elecraft colors!

Let's keep the autotuners out of the amp. I suspect the technology isn't
stable yet.

Allan K7GT

southern Oregon