Hi All,

I have a degree in computer science and 25 years in the industry, and
*I* wish someone could explain the disparity in performance among PC
makes and models. Hi Hi

The fact is there are a very large number of factors that come into
play. I can list some here...

CPU -- 1 or 2?

Video card -- on board processing?  The same video board can display
vastly different performance depending on OS and driver.  There is
also differences between models within the same line.

Memory -- not just how much you have, but how much is actually
available for allocation to the apps.

Disk -- when you get to a point where the OS has to page memory out to
to disk, the speed of the disk will make a huge difference in
performance. Granted you are already compromised in performance at
this point, but a faster disk will minimize the pain. Sometimes by an
order of magnitude.

Drivers -- version and vendor make a big difference here. Some drivers
perform well. Others are junk. Hard to know which is which.

Junk Software -- many vendors load up the PC with pure garbage that
suck up resources and provide little benefit. Sadly you don't always
know that this stuff is running or what it's doing.

Background processes -- antivirus, malware scanners, file indexing,
etc. could impact performance in non-intuitive ways.

I doubt I've even scratched the surface here, but I think we begin to
see that the combinations of factors at play here makes for quite a
challenge in explaining the disparity among machines.

Sometimes an older PC will run things faster because it has less
unneeded garbage on it and better drivers. It could also have less
bloat (XP is less bloated than Vista, for example).

When I get a PC, the first thing I do is wipe the hard drive and load
my own clean OS. It's a pain but it mitigates many of the problems
here and I have always had better performance afterward.

Now I do not just reload the OS from the vendor supplied disks -- that
just loads the same junk back on. I reload using a fresh copy
purchased "off the shelf."

Hope that sheds at least a little light on the issue.

73
David. K6DCH.

Sent from my iPhone