From: "Jeff Hall, W6EZY" <w6...@arrl.net>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Tue, February 23, 2010 12:13:39 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] Need to select a dummy load for K3 TX
calibration...(advice?)

Hello all,

I need help picking out a proper dummy load to use for calibrating my new
K3.  HRO is just up the road and they carry some of the less expensive MFJ
dummy loads -- would these be sufficient? Not looking to spend a lot of
money, but don't want to buy junk either.  What factors should I consider?
I'm assuming oil-cooled dummy loads are more robust, while air-cooled loads
are more compact, but you have to be more careful when operating or they can
burn up more easily.  The K3 manual says this is just a 5W test and I need a
load with low VSWR from 160 to 6.  What is considered "low" SWR? Anything
under 1:5?

If I can get by with the MFJ-260 for just $40, that sounds reasonable to me.

73 de Jeff, W6EZY