I took my K3 to our club's Field Day operation.  We have some serious
contesters and DXers in the group, most of which are Yaecomwood
owners.  A couple have TenTec.  Most of these guys have 5 band DXCC or
are Honor Roll, etc. We can operate CW and SSB on the same band
simultaneously and often do.  Band conditions here in the NE were not
very good.   My K3 has the Heil Proset for head phones and boom mike.
I thought you all might like to read my observations:

The first operator wanted me to set the receive equalizer flat, change
the filter settings, etc to make the rig more suseptable to noise,
QRM, etc because he said that without all the hash, intermod, etc, the
bands sounded dead.  He wanted the K3 to sound like what he was used
to.  While he might have been happy with the new settings when I
listened to it, it was tiring.......meanwhile that guy barely gave up
the use of the K3 for the entire weekend!  His arguement was that
without hearing a bunch of noise he couldn't tell if the spot he
picked to run stations was quiet or was being QRMed by adjacent
signals.  Interesting.

Two other CW ops sat down for a while, running 35+WPM and were very
impressed with the smoothness of the rig.  They both liked the
filtering and the strength of the front end in the presence of other
strong signals.

EVERYONE cranked the RF gain to the max, even when I showed them that
if they ran it about 2-3 O'clock and adjusted the audio gain instead
they would have a more pleasant audio to listen to.  Oh well, bad
habits die hard.

One comment I got was that this was the smoothest VOX of any rig the
guy had operated.

One problem we had was that the guys couldn't get the Ant 1 and Ant 2,
and the several coax connectors straight in their minds.  So
occasionally after switching a coax I had to go over and see why there
was no output.  It was always operator error.  The transmitting into
no load did not cause any problems with the K3.  Just the first time,
I paniced because I thought  that the finals had blown 2 hours into
the operation.  Fortunately it only took a few seconds to see what
happened when someone mentioned they changed antennas.

I did get a comment on the ease of figuring out the menu options as
they were more intuitive than the operator was used to.

Comments on the small size compared to the other rigs we had.  Only
one negative comment was the buttons are close together.

We use band pass filters in the coax because of the 2 stations per
band, but did not need those in line for the K3.  Also, while I could
hear some interference when I sat down behind a Kenwood 930 from
another station, I never heard the K3.

Every operator cranked the K3 output to max (110W output) could not
get them to leave it at 100.  But there were no problems observed.
Every op had to fiddle with all the buttons....that's to be expected.
Hey, we're hams.

For the entire 24 hour period, I barely got to use my own rig.  At one
point there was a waiting list to sit down behind the mic or key.

When I got home, it took a bit to get things back to normal for me
because I had to figure out what everyone did.  Of course I reloaded
my configuration which speeded up that process.

Bottom line:  The rig performed flawlessly.  Even with pretty hard
use, everything went well.  Thanks for a great product!

John
K2QY