read the following 2 emails,
the first is from a elecraft owner
the 2nd a reply form on of the 2 elecraft owners

once again I will ask,
when is the last time you heard of any such interaction
with one of the big three?
I'm certain you will get no such about anything the sell

===
Hi Guys,

Please don't misunderstand my original question. (And thanks to all who have
contributed to an interesting discussion.)

I had been inactive for quite some time when I purchased a K2. That purchase
not only returned me to the hobby, but it also made me, probably, a lifetime
Elecraft devotee. I will be purchasing either a "tricked out" K2 or a K3.
The Asian manufacturers are not in consideration.

Please note that it is not my intention to be critical of Elecraft or the
K3. I understand the technology changes that have mandated a slight change
to the Elecraft business model where we are dealing, more or less, with a
line replaceable unit (LRU) concept radio as contrasted with a component
level repair model like the K1, K2, and KX1.

I am only trying to get an idea of the scope of the "problem", if there is
one. The repair times for the K3 seem to indicate a long queue and I
naturally wonder what is in that queue. If it is filled with K3's, I wonder
why.
My life has changed from employment to retirement; every dollar is very
important to me in this new fixed income world in which I now live. If there
is some kind of quality control issue developing with the K3, I would like
to get a handle on it so that I can make an informed decision about a (2nd)
K2 purchase versus a more expensive K3 purchase.

I would not expect a zero defect business model to be in place at Elecraft.
Having said that, however, I would like to obtain and understand the
"out-of-the-box" and the "infant mortality" failure rate data for the K3, if
such information exists.

Thanks,
Ed, KD3Y, PE (electrical)

Reply from Eric 1/2 owner below:

Hi Ed,

Sorry for the delay replying to this thread. I've been out of town for
ten days and am just now catching up with older emails.

I just checked and we're running at 3-4 weeks right now for repairs and
upgrades. My target is 2 weeks or better. I was in the factory yesterday
and personally looked at the queue. The majority of the K3s awaiting
work are for customer requested factory upgrades on older units, factory
additions of new options, followed by a fair number with significant
lightning damage (we see that this time each year) and a remaining mix
of normal repair issues. We had the queue down to a shorter time
recently, but the recent rush of radios coming in before field day (for
upgrades, factory alignments and deferred repairs)  pushed us back a
bit. We are also down one repair technician (part time) after they
returned to the job they had been laid off from in Silicon Valley. What
caught us off guard has been the number of people asking us to upgrade
older used K3s to the current revision levels and adding options along
with the larger number of K3s damaged from lightening strikes and other
physical damage. We also had a number of K3s recently returned for
repair after customers mistakenly transmitted into them while preparing
and testing their SO2R set ups for the WRTC competition in Moscow next
week and weekend. (The largest numbers by far of any rig used by U.S.
and other country WRTC teams are K3s.)

Our tech crew has been working overtime to get things back below two
weeks. Rene was in yesterday working hard when I checked in to pick up
some items at the office, and Dale has been working extra hours in the
evening and weekends. I'm also assigning some of our regular production
crew to perform returned K3 dis-assembly, re-assembly etc so the repair
techs can focus on what they do best. If all goes well, we should be at
the two week or better target in the next 1-2 weeks.

73, Eric  WA6HHQ