> Ed Lambert wrote:
> Thanks, Dunc.
>
> I am mildly disconcerted by the reports of radios delivered with defects.
>
> Thanks again,

Except in the case of very large monolithic devices (MRI machine,
Jetliner),  military applications, life-critical devices,  it is
understood that competition does not allow for completely examining
every circuit board in every product.  Return, warranty service and
identifying overly defective trends that are not manufacturing noise,
is a science in itself with some number of canned major megabuck
computer apps to manage returns and identify patternable troubles that
need attention, where servicing returns are so high as to

Once the decision has been made to deal with warrantee and service
issues honestly, there is a level of defect where the service costs
exceed the profit margin.  There are two choice then, raise prices or
identify and fix the manufacturing problem.

Most of us simply cannot afford zero defect manufacturing products and
so we are subject to a company's decision above. K3's built by
Elecraft ARE extensively tested after assembly, you will get a
functioning radio.  But for some there will still be a transistor that
goes, or a missed wave solder that lasts for six months before causing
problems.

The question for us is whether or not we get stiffed for the
inevitable defect.  For those of us not able to afford military
prices, we have one of the best support groups on the planet in
Elecraft.  THAT is what you should base a purchase decision upon, if
defects is a serious issue.

73, Guy.