On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 06:54:03AM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> [ It seems your editor doesn't know how to wrap lines.  For someone
> who's a ""technical"" user, you ought to change this. ]

 Ha, the 75 char 'wrap' argument. I have got into this one a couple of times by
now. The responsibility for wrapping is at the viewer's end. A paragraph is
always a single line, and that way the width of the terminal wouldn't matter.
The 75 char ARBITRARY width is a relic of the old 80 char terminals, and in the
present day age of 1700x resolution at high end and 25 char resolution of the
PDAs, such a line length doesn't make a teensy bit of sense. I am using Vim,
which will beautifully wrap the line and intelligently handle words. Anyway, I
don't want to get into this discussion.  a) The problem is, it is really
difficult to compose if the paragraph is not a single line. If it is a single
line, then the formatting is always maintained irrespective of what editing you
do inside, but if there is a hard newline, you have to manually format every
time you make a change.  b) I use mailing list to post to forums, and believe
me, 75 char word wrapped posts really look ugly when they are displayed in
forums, and that works against you when you are flaming someone. c) Even
otherwise, I use lynx/vim to compose when posting to forums, and again, the
word wrapped posts look really cluttered and uncivilized. Single line
paragraphs are really beautiful; I mean, I love reading mails where the entire
post is a single line. It somehow feels more full. d) From my website
http://ligesh.com you can see that I am not a techie per se. I frequent
philosophy/science mailing-lists and forums more than technical ones, and
almost everyone there uses MS Word/Outlook to compose and the paragraph is
always a single line.

> On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 06:44:32AM -0400, Ligesh wrote:
>
> Your use of "popup" here is completely misplaced.  It's a *dialogue*
> window that you're seeing here.  Of course, to do what you're asking
> isn't much of a problem, see the:
>
> show_not_found
>
> option in ELinks.  You can find that via:
>
> Option Manager -> Document -> Searching -> Show Not Found
>
> ... And whilst you're there, I suggest you also look at the other
> options under Searching as well.

 Hey, thanks. Life has started to make sense again... :-)

> >  I have also created a custom Xdialog using Lua. The problem seems to
> >  be that the Xdialog doesn't have a history, and I can't access any of
> >  the previous search strings I typed. So how do I turn on history for
> >  the xdialog?
>
> Xdialog?

 I guess I wasn't clear. I had pasted the code in my previous mail; Below is
the actual lua code snippet I use. It calls something called xdialog, which I
am guessing is the dialog box that pops up when I press 'S'. The problem is
that even though it looks similar to the 'Enter Url' dialog box, this one
doesn't have a history. Just put this into 'hooks.lua' in the .elinks directory
and press 'S' from elinks.

-------------------- From  hooks.lua
bind_key ("main", "S",
                function ()