> Richard's definition of large application (36,000 lines) and my definition
> (Photoshop, Lightroom, ...) are rather different in scale

OP said "If i have a site with lots of features what is the best way to
orgainze everything?" and our code base precisely fits the bill for what he
asked for advice about. :)

To repeat myself from earlier: "It's not *necessarily* a bad idea, just not
the first thing you should reach for. Or the second thing you should reach
for. Or the third thing you should reach for.
not the first thing you should reach for. Or the second thing you should
reach for. Or the third thing you should reach for."

If you are at Slack's scale, sure, maybe you have reached the point where
this makes sense.

But even *Slack was not Slack on day one*. What I'm saying is that if you
aspire to become Slack someday, you should *start simple*, like I'm
recommending, and then *refactor as needed on a case-by-case basis*. I'm
claiming that "don't divide until you need to" scales nicely. That's been
my experience, and I think it's reasonable to expect others will have the
same experience.

I think trying to organize your code base on day one for "the scale you
hope to have in year five" is a huge mistake, and I strongly recommend
against it. :)