> some scaling issues arrive the moment you would like to have two people
> work on something. At that point, they can generally both be more
> productive if you can subdivide the work, put an API in place in between,
> and then let each proceed in a separate file.

I understand this concept, and my recommendation takes it into account.

Having multiple people working on the same part of the code base comes up
for us all the time!

It's totally fine. Nobody wants to reorganize our code base afterwards. :)

I get that you are worried about this in theory, but what I'm saying is
that in practice we frequently do the thing you're saying is should be
painful, and we've found that it actually just isn't.