Changes like this I think make sense if it is part of a more general effort
- i.e 'Elm is going to be known as the language with proper function
names"i.e it sounds like a BDFL call. Has that every been stated by Evan or
is it just something that appears to be in the same line of thinking as
removing primes etc?

Not saying it's a bad idea BTW - especially since some people new to Elm
won't be familiar with the terse style functions you see commonly in FP
languages  -'foldr' 'cons' etc if they haven't used one of those languages