On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 2:12 PM, 'Rupert Smith' via Elm Discuss <
elm-discuss@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> -1 from me. foldl and foldr are so commonly in use in other functional
> languages that they are an acceptable short hand. Who cares what Scala does.
>
> The main target of Elm are developers who come from imperative languages
like javascript, python or ruby.
People with a background in FP might actually get a little bit frustrated
with Elm due to it deliberately leaving out certain facilities like
type-classes.

The thing is that if Elm convinces even a very small fraction of the JS
devs to move to FP, that would be a huge win for FP.

Considering this, it would actually make more sense to call foldl *reduce* and
remove foldr all together while providing that functionality via reversing
the list/array.

This could make things more familiar for JS/Python/Ruby while maybe
frustrating people coming from Haskell/OCaml/Erlang/Elixir.

--
There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/