I'd agree with all that - but it was also trivially achievable in 0.17.
Make no mistake, this is a *reduction* of the Elm language, the gamble
being that it will result in more new users moving to and sticking with
Elm, than existing users bailing in favour of some other alternative. I
suspect it will probably work.