On Monday, January 30, 2017 at 6:48:13 AM UTC, Lyle Kopnicky wrote:

> What's the best way of referencing third-party packages in another
> directory on the same machine?

It would be nice if there was a way to do this - either by extending
elm-github-install or elm-install. The use cases I would like to see
covered are:

Installing from a git repo other than GitHub.
Being able to build an elm project and 'install' a copy of it to some local
repository (doesn't need to be anything more fancy than a directory on the
local file system) and reference it from there.
Being able to work with a 'development' version of a library. That is,
rather than version 2.2.0, I'd like to be able to reference 2.2.0-SNAPSHOT
(like Maven) or LATEST, or 2.2.0-LATEST or something like that.

I ran into this problem when I pulled out some of my native code into its
own repository. When I want to consume that in another project, I use
elm-github-install to reference it. Then I wanted to experiment with a new
feature (just a couple of lines), and I ended up pushing that back to
GitHub and tag it, just to try it out.

When Evan says he is working on 'packaging' for the 0.19 release, are these
things that are going to be addressed? I got the impression from a recent
update on elm-dev that 'packaging' is actually talking about how the
compiled code is packaged for inclusion in a web-page, to allow code re-use
instead of compiling everything to one big .js file, rather than how the
package management system works. It would be good to get some clarity on
this, as perhaps enhacing elm-github-install could be a useful area to
contribute to if it is not already planned.