On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 7:27:10 AM UTC+1, Peter Damoc wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Jens Egholm <jen...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Just a thought; shouldn't this be available through native Elm package
>> management?
>>

> NO!
>
> This kind of unsafe use of code is and should forever be discouraged.

On the whole, yes. And it is not possible to publish these packages so
there is no danger of polluting the kernel.

The one exception I think, is for testing/development both on kernel code
and other libraries that you already have code running on top of. For
example, maybe I am hacking at the virtual dom code, or maybe I have my own
package that handles authentication that I want to make some changes too
but test an application against.

In the virtual dom kernel code case, I cannot publish that package, so how
to run my experimental changes?
In the auth case, I have not completed and tested my changes, so I should
not publish a new version of my package.

It is very handy to be able to substitute a package in the build to do
this. I use elm-install to accomplish this, so its not a problem being
absent from the official tool. But I don't think it would be a bad feature
to have in the official tool, and the safeguard of not being able to
publish native, effect or port modules to the package repo is there to make
it a safe feature.