On 06/10/17 13:45, Nick Howitt wrote:
Hi Phil,

One thing I noticed in the summer last year but did not isolate at all was that when I was running both the r8168 and r8169 drivers in a box which had both cards, the 8169 NIC would not come up on boot and had to be modprobed after boot. I got round it by:

That may be because our kmod-r8168 blacklists the r8169 driver from loading and binding the device (see below).

echo "modprobe r8169" > /etc/sysconfig/modules/r8169.modules
chmod +x /etc/sysconfig/modules/r8169.modules
 > This got the driver to load much earlier in the boot sequence.

The person who tested the via-rhine driver found the same here: https://www.clearos.com/clearfoundation/social/community/clearos-7-4-beta#reply-190651 (and the following post) with drivers compiled for 7.4.

What does lsinitrd say for the kernel in question? Are the appropriate drivers present in the initramfs?

IIRC, the issue with r8168/9 is complicated by the fact that the distro kernel r8169 driver is a unified driver that supports some hardware also supported by the kmod-r8168 driver, so the two are not designed to be used together as they may compete to bind the same device on boot.

My network config/admin skills are not great. Maybe there is a way to designate/bind a specific driver to a device to ensure you get the expected behaviour?