It's obvious, but here's the snippet to promote the headline for your
convenience:

(defun ngz-move-headline-up ()
  "Move current headline to the top of the tree"
  (interactive)
  (unless (org-at-heading-p) (error "Not at an headline"))
  (save-excursion (while (ignore-errors (org-move-subtree-up)))))

The only minor issue I have now is with my org file conf section. It's
supposed to be the last item in the file, but when I send the item to the
bottom, it starts pilling up as I add more.

It would be nice if we could setup a special tag for the conf section of the
org file, i.e:

* conf  :HIDDEN:
#+STARTUP: overview

HIDDEN items would be hidden unless show-hidden-items toggles. Does that
make sense?

Cheers,

Marcelo.