><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Kai> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, David Young wrote:
>> Greetings. After recent discussions with Kai, I have learned that
>> tramp's ssh support does not work with sites that prompt for both a
>> passphrase _and_ password (as ours does)...

Kai> here are the possibilities I see:

Kai> * Frob tramp-open-connection-rsh to keep looking for password or
Kai> passphrase prompts.  This would deal with an arbitrary number of
Kai> them.

Kai> * Write a new function similar to tramp-open-connection-rsh which
Kai> looks for two password/passphrase prompts.  Users could add an
Kai> entry to tramp-methods for this.  (Not sure whether it should
Kai> look for at most two or exactly two password/passphrase prompts...

Kai> I think that Tramp currently does not deal well with the
Kai> possibility that somebody is entering the wrong password.  Hm.  I
Kai> think the first alternative would kind of gives this to us for
Kai> free.

Kai> Thoughts?

If tramp can "just do the right thing" without user intervention, then
that's probably preferable. I wonder if there's an ssh "standard" of
sorts that describes exactly what happens? In other words, rules of
the sort:

  1. SSH will prompt for a passphrase, if so configured. The prompt
     string will contain the keyword 'passphrase'.

  2. SSH will prompt for a password (possibly after passphrase
     prompting). The prompt string will contain the keyword
     'password'.

I would say "frobbing" TRAMP-OPEN-CONNECTION-RSH is the way to go,
especially if tramp isn't handling mis-typed passwords.

Regards,

David E. Young
Fujitsu Network Communications  "The fact that ... we still
([EMAIL PROTECTED])         live well cannot ease the pain of
                                 feeling that we no longer live nobly."
                                  -- John Updike
"Programming should be fun,
 programs should be beautiful"