> This is a very good point. So, you're saying that ssh should _not_ be
> prompting for both passphrase and password, correct? I need to confirm

Not really.  Just that SSH, not being able to know in advance whether your
private identity-key can be used to login, first tries to log in
with it and when that fails, it reverts to the password login mechanism.

> Also, what "judicious editing" of ~/.ssh/config do you mean. Sorry,
> perhaps I should just read the ssh docs in more detail.

You can tell SSH not to bother trying RSAAuthentication (i.e. authentication
with your .ssh/identity) for specific hosts (if you know that it would fail)
by putting something like:

        Host <host-pattern>
            RSAAuthentication no

`man ssh' will tell you more.