> tramp's ssh support does not work with sites that prompt for both a
> passphrase _and_ password (as ours does). I would like to see tramp

I'm not sure I understand this right.
Is that some very special super-paranoid version of SSH ?

My understanding of SSH is that it either uses passphrase (to decrypt
your private identity-key, in order to then prove your identity to
the remote site) or a password.  I.e. you might be prompted for both, but
if so, that just means that your private identity-key failed to give
you access, so you can avoid the passphrase prompting altogether by
judicious editing of ~/.ssh/config.
The problem being that SSH doesn't know whether the site will accept
your private identity-key before it can try to decrypt it.

        Stefan