Perhaps certain commands should be setq()ed.
You do not need to unalias ls, if you call
   \ls
which invokes the original ls. I tested this command on solaris's
/bin/sh, which is _not_ xpg4 compliant. It still works.

ls --color=auto only works for gnu ls, and probably only gnu ls that
is less than 4 years old.