[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> I think people should init their shell like this:
>
> case "$TERM" in
>     linux|xterm)
>         alias ls=...
>         ;;
> esac
>
> After all, printing color sequences on if $TERM=dumb does not make
> sense.

I've done basically the same thing for $TERM=emacs in shell mode

> Alas, Tramp does not set $TERM correctly.  Whee.  I think Emacs should
> do that, but in the meantime, I intend to frob Emacs to do that.
>
> I was hoping to get a basic Bourne shell after "exec /bin/sh".
> Therefore, the aliases should be off after this.  Are they?

Yes they are.

alias ls='ls --color=auto' is in .bashrc

escape sequences when I manually "exec /bin/sh".  Perhaps I've
misdiagnosed this prolblem.

/r:sprout@helium:

the "*tramp/scp sprout@helium*" buffer pops up with

bash$ > >
/////

When I comment out the ls alias, dired properly loads on my homedir.

/bin/sh is bash 1.14.7
--
Chris Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
A good pun is its own reword.