> As such, I want to propose an alternate tag to indicate our own
   > paths:
   >
   >    "/!/"

   Seconded.

I still do not like it  at all.  It's completely different from anything
that  is done  out  there.  There  is  a quasi-standard  for doing  such
things,  which   involves  using  /protocol:,   and  that's  reasonable,
widespread and people are accustomed to it.  We do not want to introduce
Yet Another Nice Convention.

We should  instead raise  the problem on  the internal  Emacs developers
lists, and then  contact to Xemacs developers (or  the other way around,
if you care more about Xemacs), and try to find a real solution.

Emacs should have a general hook for /[^/]+:.* filenames, where [^/]+ is
the protocol.  Then, different packages  could register to that hook and
tell it which protocol they do manage.

We could  conceivably care about  a compatibility package, but  the main
road should not be built to work around problems in how ange-ftp and efs
are built.

I volunteer to raise the question on Emacs lists, if I am asked to.