2010/4/20 Cliff Blackburn <cblackb...@powertechrepairs.com>

>  The only thing this would really change is stopping the gantry from
> skewing it's self any worse while homing. What would happen with homing
> right now if one of your home switches wasn't working? One joint would stop
> and the other would keep on going until you jam it or break/bend something,
> neither of which are a good way to fail.

Aeroplane ignition sistem has two magnetos. And have two spark plug in
cylinder. The pilot should test it before flight. IE starting engine and
engage just left magneto and listen if engine work right. Then switch to the
right magneto and again listen if engine sound right. Then engage BOTH
magnetos and do flight.

So if you afraid to have problem with home switch then instal another one as
a fail safe. aniway somewhere real close the limit switch is.
That big gantry I describe work more than 10 years and is placed outside.
(just roof above machine) and works near every day at least few hour.
And YES I need to replace home switches twice as contact are coroded. and
nothing bad happens as limit switch is just two milimeters behind home.

Btw steppers (in most cases) doesn't have enought power to destroy gantry.
So just proper design gantry to not derail in such condition.

Slavko.

p.s.
I talking to STEPPER system not SERVO.