Depends on what you want to do.   If John wants to run some type of
temperature vs time profile then something smart makes sense.

If you just want to maintain temp - there are some very cheap
thermostats available that can handle power circuits.

The least expensive I have found is a water heater thermostat at less
than $10 and it can switch 240 with a temp range of roughly 100-180
degrees F.

Most home improvement stores sell them.

These are designed to be clamped up against a tank of water of course
but they can be used for a lot of things besides water heaters.

Dave