> On 12/21/2010 2:46 AM, Dave wrote:
> > That is some sophisticated smoker control.. :-)
> >
> > Seems to me that the hard part is getting the thermocouple inputs into
> > the PC without going bankrupt.
> >
> > Did you see this ??
> >
> > http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/0503/moyer154/3.htm
> >
> > Perhaps something like this but instead tied an Arduino or a Pokeys
> > which is then tied to your PC via USB?

Ok, so my whole point was that in my opinion the best device for digitizing
a thermocouples milli-volt signal is the MAX6675 IC. This device is great
because all you have to do is hook the thermocouple up to it and read the
temperature using some SPI interface. I have used these devices with an
Arduino (read cheap and easy IO) with EMC and other software. You can read
several of these devices using an arduino and I think it is the cheapest way
to get a thermocouple signal into a PC.