I'm still trying to digest all the ideas and yes a USB interface would
be the best. I'm not sure if this may be part of the puzzle or not.
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8165

It does seem to me that a thermocouple amplifier chip would be needed
like the AD594 or the thermocouple to digital converter like the Max6675.

Could the Max6675 be connected with it's serial interface directly to a
USB in a laptop?

Thanks for all the ideas... I know there is a good solution out there to
be found.

John