On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Jon Elson wrote:

> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:41:34 -0500
> From: Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>
> To: EMC developers <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] [!! SPAM] Re: I am new here
>
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
>>  For instance resolvers were not supported until some of
>> the developers got machines that had resolvers.
> Resolvers are not supported by LinuxCNC at all, as far as I know.  They
> are handled by several vendor's adapters that produce what appears to be
> a traditional quadrature encoder signal, that is then handled as if it
> were a regular encoder.
>
> Jon

Our resolver interface doesn't actually emulate a quadrature counter at all,
but rather uses a A-D daughtercard followed by a standard resolver-->digital
tracking filter implemented in the FPGA.

The LinuxCNC driver simply reads 32 bit parallel (absolute) position and
velocity registers from the FPGA. To make this more compatible with LinuxCNCs
"incremental encoder" centric feedback interface, index and simulated encoder
count outputs are created in the driver.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics