> I did some torture testing for a potential customer a long time ago.
> The test was a 2"
> circle of 10000 G01 moves.  On a 600 MHz Pentium II (or would that have
> been a PIII?)
> I got some 780 blocks/second.  I have no idea how much of that was due
> to the interpreter
> and how much in the trajectory planner.  Also, it was not clear how much
> was due
> to raw processing speed and how much due to the 1-block lookahead.  Much
> of this
> experiment was to see what the G64 Pxx  could do for contouring work.
>
> Well, I think even a 3:1 slow down would not be a good thing, unless the
> interpreter
> is a TINY part of the total block processing time (which it may well be,
> I just don't
> know.)

Jon,

The interpreter is nowhere near the bottleneck that the 1-block lookahead is.
To satisfy my own curiosity I wrote a 1000-line long program (1000 lines is the
default interpreter lookahead, set in emccfg.h) that started with M3 S500,
ended with S1000, and consisted solely of .01mm G0 moves.  Since
active_settings[] lives in interpreter time, not motion time, the displayed S
word in the Active Gcodes field of Axis tells you when the interpreter hits the
S1000 line.  It's nearly instantaneous - the interpreter is at the end of the
file before motion even starts.

the requirement that the machine be able to come to a controlled stop during
any one move).  Most defenders of the current TP point the blame at cheap CAM
for outputting small line segments instead of G2/G3. This doesn't help
moldmakers much, who by the nature of the part need small line segment code.
Furthermore as more CAM companies implement constant tool engagement strategies
we will see more and more small line segment code.  The big controls compete on
the ability to handle small line segments - HAAS charges an extra $2000 to go
from 40 to 80 blocks of lookahead.  While bigger accelerations help ameliorate
this lookahead restriction, they don't fix the problem.  I would love to see
improvement in this area, but I'm hesitant to dive into development until I
have a better feel for the underlying code.  Michael seems to be intimate with
this code after some of his thought experiments with VPT - perhaps he would be
willing to provide an outline on he thinks it would take to change the TP to
better handle small line segment code.

Rogge