> From: mai...@mah.priv.at
> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 09:10:03 +0200
> To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] future plannig was: LinuxCNC (EMC2) with RCS

> 7. GUI's: porting forward GladeVCP to GTK3 and pyGobject would be clearly a
> milestone. I love Axis, but I dont quite see how it can realistically be
> forward-ported.

A better idea is to bulid an 'AXIS' that uses more modular code.
Now that Jeff and Pavel did all that work on gremlin and with the knowledge
gained by hacking away on gscreen.
It is clear that gladeVCP widgets are the way to go.
A GTK AXIS would not be that hard to build.

> 8. Language and toolkit plethora: I'd suggest to not carry forward
> TCL/Tk/TkInter use.
IMHO I agree. I don't see what TCL adds that Python wouldn't and python is
oh-so-much easier to read.
(opinion from an amateur programmer of course)

> Assume this can be achieved, a first great milestone would be to have the
> brushed-up gladevcp run a HAL-only application; maybe low-level talk to
> motion through a revamped API (Python). Actually I think LinuxCNC kindof
> 'misses a market' - I see use for HAL-only applications with GUI.

I think this is a great idea. I really think HAL should be pulled out. HAL is
such great system it would be interesting to get other
projects interested in using it. The more diverse the projects the more diverse
the components that would be built for it.
I think we should do this regardless of whether we build a linuxcnc3 or not.
I wonder if this would help with trying out new realtime options as there would
be a much
smaller code base to understand.
Unfortunately pulling HAL out is beyond what I could do, I am pretty sure!
gladeVCP I surely could  update for GTK3.
If anyone wishes to work on a HAL only branch, I would work on the GTK3
gladeVCP.

> whale of a plan.. this will years of coexistence of v2 and v3. But I agree it
> is time to consider that cut.

It seems to me the timing is right - considering upcoming library changes.
I really can't see a down side. linuxcnc is stable and capable. so moving some
developing resource from it
wouldn't hurt that much.

Anyways it's interesting to consider the  + - of it all and see some excitement
in the ranks !

Chris M