Michael Haberler <mai...@mah.priv.at> wrote recently:

> - is it time to think about, and start a future LinuxCNC version
> which - for the sake of an upside - breaks with some old habits and
> components
> - is it a good idea to link this 'cut' with an effort to address
> licensing issues

I'd like to make some suggestions about how to start this process.

1. I would love to have, and might be able to help with, creating a
block diagram/flowchart/_something_ that documents how the Linuxcnc "top
end" works now.

2. The documentation for the HAL based bottom end is quite complete and
excellent. It's just that "awkward layer" between the GUI and the HAL
that needs to be made more understandable.

3. Where possible, it would be good to make each major function
runnable/testable by itself, like you can do with HAL modules. I wonder
if the standalone interpreter still works?

4. If it's not possible to run parts of the "top end" standalone, maybe
add a visual debugging type facility to provide a "window into the
guts" so that internal operations can be easily observed.

5. The original design was based on the Model, View, and Controller
pattern. I think it's important to identify all the elements of the
model, where they are stored, how to access them, and their purpose.

My main point, if I have a point at all, is that I would like to be
able to understand the structure of Linuxcnc more easily than by
reading all the source files. I guess I/we/someone will have to
initially, but documentation will help everyone who comes along later.

Thanks,
Matt