Am 06.09.2012 um 13:17 schrieb EBo:

> Fair enough.  I thought the current discussion concerned moving away
> from autoconf and friends.  Personally I have a lot more experience and
> comfort with autoconf, automake, and libtools.  Some people hate them,
> and the whole jam thing is a lot more portable (at least from my
> experience).  So I am not advocating ditching auto*, just joining in the
> discussion.

The issue IMO is primarily with the Submakefile scheme which is a minefield to
walk through when adding something nontrivial, and that happens frequently and
not only to me; if that could be replaced by a more robust scheme that would be
great (how many times you've been bitten by "failed to remake Makefile"?)

For some reason it seems there was a prevailing opinion that recursive make
invocations are a bad thing.

A different issue with autoconf is that writing working feature test macros is
outright pathetic, and IMO the folks who came up with the idea of using m4 for
this purpose should be summarily shot. But then this isnt all that frequent so
one can suffer through that.

-m