Am 13.02.2013 um 18:47 schrieb Eric Keller:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Michael Haberler <mai...@mah.priv.at>wrote:
>
>> the hlt instruction doesn't work correctly
>>
> It bugs me that in these days of high performance and energy aware
> computers that the hlt command apparently doesn't work properly on a lot of
> processors.  This affects realtime users the most, but it surely reduces
> the usability of all computers. I guess they figure we keep buying
> computers and they can sell us whatever they want.

well I dont know enough about how the electronics of all this is implemented,
but if any of the power supply (like onboard SMPS regulators) is involved in
the CPU voltage reduction of some of these C* states, I wouldnt be suprised
that cranking up to full voltage does take some time, 'some' being rather long
and rather indeterministic in the context of an RT application

it is pure conjecture though

anybody here who can comment on CPU voltage reduction and how that is done?

that could also explain different board behavior

- Michael