Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 07 July 2013 01:20:43 Jon Elson did opine:
>

>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>>>   Now I can
>>>
>>> write a peck loop wrapping up the G33.1, that can drive a 10-32 tap
>>> half an inch into a prepared hole, backing out to clear chips, and do
>>> it in perhaps 45 to 60 seconds.  Each direction change, at 300 revs,
>>> takes a bit less than 3 seconds for the stop, and accelerate to the
>>> same speed in the other direction.  Listening to the z stepper growl
>>> seems to say that it is totally and absolutely locked.  I have killed
>>> the motor power in mid cycle, and rolled the spindle by hand, with
>>> the z drive following it perfectly, as I expected. ;-)
>>>
>> I do 4-40 holes with a combined drill-tap in about 12 seconds at 1000
>> RPM. it takes most of the time doing the drill plunge, then the tapping
>> only takes a
>> couple of seconds.  I do 10-32 in pre-drilled holes in about 4 seconds
>> at 660 RPM.  Those are single-pass tapping cycles in aluminum.
>>
>> Jon
>>

> Chuckle, yes, and I can imagine the cost of the tap to do that.  I am using
> what I can get at Tractor Supply,
Arrgh!  I use $8 taps from the usual suppliers like MSC.  These are spiral
flute combined drill-taps, and bring the chips up out of the hole like a
twist drill.  You get long needle-like chips from them, and very
little clogging.  There is a depth limit to them, go above that limit
and the chips jam the flute and break the tap.  But, for speed when you
have many hundreds of holes to drill-tap, you just can't beat them.
Basically, if the machine is set up right and the first hole goes OK, the
tap never breaks, even after thousands of holes!
>  with gullets that wouldn't pretend to
> have enough room to carry the chip load from a hole that was likely the
> nearest fractional 1/64th inch size smaller.  But you would be amazed at
> what a 3/32" diameter diamond coated bit, laid in the groove, turning slow
> enough to not ablate the diamond, used to deepen the gullets by .005" can
> do for the performance of such a tap.  I've also found the usual Ace Hdwe
> Hansen tap breaks like cast iron today, where 50 years ago it was close to
> the best you could buy.

Yup, seen that crap, Vermont American was what they sold a few years
ago, white sintered stuff that crumbled quite easily.  Sears sold similar
junk under the Craftsman label.  I try to only use machine shop-grade
stuff now, and keep an extra one or two new taps in most sizes so I
don't HAVE to run out and buy the junk at Ace.

Jon