Chris Morley wrote:

> I bet there is a following error spike right when you do reversal or maybe
> not badly because the
> spindle does not react with infinite jerk either.

Yes, and that''s why you want to control the rate of spindle reversal so
the following axis has a better change of keeping up.
> So if your tap reversal changes direction faster then the machine can react,
> it doesn't matter
> if you have jerk limiting or not - there will be error.
> I bet we'd b surprised how much error rigid tapping can tolerate. machine and
> part flex is forgiving.
>
> And that is what I am saying, without jerk limiting, we are asking the
> machine to move faster
> then it actually can, so we get a small following error spike, most
> pronounced at reversals.

So, for rigid tapping, you want the spindle to reverse more gradually
than it
might be capable of doing.  Then, the jerk is reduced.
> I remember the graphs I looked at were when the mill cut circles - there were
> reversal spikes at each of the four quadrants.

A tight servo should have no spikes at the reversals.  The arc interpolation
is quite gradual at these reversals, unless the system is trying to do
backlash
compensation (which I consider to be a big mistake.)

Jon