>>Continuing to support Ubuntu 8.04 is fool_hardy_, and I propose we stop.

No pun intended I assume!

  >>- AFAICT, there is only a very small handful of users still running
>> LinuxCNC on Hardy.  I'd wager that those users are quite conservative,
>> and aren't interested in new features for LinuxCNC anyway.

Sorry John, sweeping generalisation and I think wrong

I have no interest in running Ubuntu 8.04, it is rubbish,  but I have P4
workshop machines with very low latency that will not even load the 10.04 CD
The other machine has a special x86 based chip and whilst it will run 10.04,
the single processor build for 8.04 is far better

I run 2.6~pre on all of them

I know there are quite a lot of people still using 8.04, for just this reason,
because I point lots of them to it on the forum when they try 10.04 on old
hardware and get poor latency results.
They almost always get far better results with it.

All I would ask is that whatever parts of the unified-build-candidate-1 rely
upon libraries that are not available to 8.04, can be de-selectable from
configure.

There is no need to maintain debs beyond 2.5.3 for sure, but users should still
be able to build a RIP install from the 2.6 sources.

(This has probably prompted me to try building a single processor targeted 3.xx
kernel on debian, as a contingency for my older hardware)

regards