On 12/1/13 18:03 , EBo wrote:
> On the RTAI side of things, I would be interested in seeing a kernel
> support chart.  I actually looked around and could not find one.  On
> LinuxCNC's ToDo Wiki I see they are working on 3.4.55.

There is an RTAI kernel based on Linux 3.4.55 available here:

http://www.linuxcnc.org/seb/rtai-for-3.4-prerelease/

I've been running that kernel on Ubuntu Precise, and driving my
Bridgeport milling machine with it for many weeks now, and it's been
working well.

I would welcome wider testing.

> Other than that, someone should have a plan chart around.  Looking at
> the Wik <http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Todo-2.6> There are a
> number of tasks that I would not expect understanding the code deeply
> (like getting the build bot working on Handy, and help with the
> translation mess).  Are these things you could help with?  Are there any
> other things not on the ToDo list?

That todo list is the main task list for 2.6.  However, one of the items
hides a bunch of additional work:

23. Triage SF bugs: https://sourceforge.net/p/emc/bugs/?limit=250

If you wanted to, you could look through those bugs and see if you want
to tackle any of them.  Depending on the bug, it may require quite a bit
of testing and/or coding.

There's also an easy way to help that requires no coding, only bravery
and diligence, and that's to run 2.6 on your machines and report how it
works for you.

If there are bugs, we're better off finding them sooner rather than
later.  If you don't find bugs, that probably means we're closer than I
think to the 2.6 release.  In any case, there's no substitute for
runtime and eyeballs and testers.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky