To those with UBC3 problem and wishing for more to go on:

Enable full debugging by setting the environment variable "export
DEBUG=5".  (Works for all 2.x branches, maybe?)

Send debugging messages to stderr with "export MSGD_OPTS=-s".

These break 'runtests', but if run on a known problem runtest, these can
help.  (Fixing 'runtests' to handle higher debug levels was non-trivial,
IIRC.)

        John