Ok - I finally got a chance to test some more real hardware.  This is a
bastard router that has 3 different steppers/drive (it was a converted
step/repeat machine.)  I built robs latest (RC3) from the linuxcnc git
and ran some of the test programs.  some good news one bad.

Good news.  The motion is very smooth.  The program I was testing was
the LHchips4.ngc.  It sounds very nice.

http://electronicsam.com/images/KandT/testing/LHchips4.ngc

I found one issue.  A cutting profile containing more than 1 axis will
only go as fast as the slowest axis.  This machine has 3 different axis
velocities

X 150ipm
Y 78IPM
Z 50IPM

On the 'belly' of chips - there are long x-z profiles (mostly X moves).
The profiles would peak at 50ipm.  (they should peak at something
between X and Z.  The current TP actually runs that profile faster
(closer to 100ipm)  There are long XY profiles also - they peak at 78ipm
but should peak pretty close to 150ipm in some areas..

I talked to Rob about this - he said I should post here in case others
have seen this issue and didn't know what was happening.  He has some
Ideas on solutions and will keep us posted.

sam