On 12/26/2015 07:59 PM, Neil Whelchel wrote:
> Hello Jon,
> It is not a retrofit. MyData has used Linux since about 1993 on all of
> their machines,
WOW, I'd never heard this!
>   for a short time before that they used Xenix, but the Xenix
> versions never worked well.
I have heard there were problems with the older MyData
machines just going crazy sometimes.
>   The software is called TpSys, it is a
> collection of C, Perl, and bash programs, about 300 of them. The design is
> fantastic and well thought out. They are also extremely reliable, and
> stable both hardware and software.
> Here is a video of someone setting up a machine, this video is one of the
> few that allows you to see the UI.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJxuux0r28
> Here is a video of the machine in action. The red flash that you see is the
> up looking camera. It looks at the parts that the 9 vacuum tweezers
> (nozzles) are holding as they move past to make a precise measurement of
> the locations of the pins on the parts so that it can calculate the
> position offset and rotation of the part when it places it on the board.
> These machines typically place pins to within 0.0005 inches.
Hmm, that sounds really GOOD!  I think my repeatability is
probably closer to .005" or so.  Just BARELY good enough for
anything finer than SOIC lead pitch.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-aWoHl6pyM
> I have extensive experience with these machines, I am happy to answer any
> questions that you might have about them, but I am not sure that this is
> the right place to have this conversation unless the rest of the Linuxcnc
> developers are interested in listening in on this tangent...
Some may be interested.  Anyway, I already have the Philips
CSM84, and will stick with it until something major breaks.
Then, I'd have to consider what to do next.  Retrofit or a
whole new (used) machine.
> But since we are here, I will put in my 2 cents worth.
> I have been following the OpenPnP project for some time, and as far as I
> can tell, they have some (extremely) good ideas, but they are headed in the
> wrong direction. It is not likely ever going to be in a position to be a
> good retrofit tool for anything, it will likely only work good on hobby
> machines.
Yes, you seem to have the same view as me.
> The entire concept of using G-code for a PnP machine is not a good idea on
> any level.
Right.  It is what is there, but not a proper fit to the task.
>   However, Linuxcnc can help here. You can control Linuxcnc
> directly with its Python API, so it would be a good match to use Linuxcnc
> to handle the realtime robotics and IO, but the PnP logic would have to be
> created. If someone were to do this (properly), such a project would be a
> likely retrofit for old PnP machines.

Yes, this makes a lot of sense.  If Linux/HAL/Python was
handling all the motion-level stuff, it could make a PnP
program with extensive error recovery a much smaller project.

Thanks,

Jon