Hello EBo,
The A20 board has a 3 volt lithium battery on it that will keep the CPU and
memory alive for about 20 minutes. The software is setup to shutdown if
power is absent for more than 3 minutes. This is really not required
because the / filesystem is read only, and the read-write filesystem is
XFS.
My X86-64 distro takes considerably longer to boot. Both BIOS and the PC
hardware scan slow things down considerably, which adds in excess of 30
seconds more to the boot time.
Shutdown is about the same on both platforms, at about 4 seconds.

While LOC is a concern (the more parts, the more chances of failure), that
is not the driving point. The driving point is bloat. Using a desktop OS to
drive a machine is just a bad idea, no matter how you slice it. When you
are controlling a machine, reliability is everything. The problem with a
desktop OS is that there are many factors that are out of control,
especially things like web browsers. There is almost no control of how many
CPU cycles, HD access, and memory that a browser uses. Also, they use many
features of the graphics system, so if there is a bug in the graphics
system, a web browser usually brings it out and in some cases can take out
X11.  Experience has demonstrated that if you eliminate X11, you eliminate
about 90% of the things that randomly crash a machine. That is one major
advantage of working with Qt and GTK, you can run the applications straight
to the Linux framebuffer and bypass X11 entirely. It is absolutely amazing
how more reliable things become when you get rid of all of the bloat that
X11 and the window manager add, not to mention all of the things that are
not in the path, like a desktop, launcher, file indexers, session servers
(session servers are the biggest breaking point of most desktop systems)...
-Neil-