I don't think you can lost the modes completely as you still need to know the current machine state. For instance if the machine is running MDI code and you enter another MDI line before the previous one has finished, the next line should be queued. However if you enter an MDI line while running code it should be ignored.

However it would be nice to lose the need to explicitly set the mode. In effect mode would become a current state flag. Issuing an MDI command automatically sets the mode to MDI (if the machine isn't running a program). Once the MDI code has finished it reverts back to jog. The same with running a program (auto mode). Unfortunately none of this really helps with being able to jog in auto.

Les