On Wednesday 17 January 2018 17:20:47 Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 16:41:59 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 January 2018 11:10:53 Nicklas Karlsson wrote:

> > > Why a license?
> > >
> > > I have nothing about sharing my work but copyright issues i
> > > something different.
> > >
> > > Then in european union I read something about interoperability so
> > > you are always allowed to make your own device to talk to other
> > > device.

> > > Yes.
> > >
> > > Michael Büsch already implemented a profibus master. I have it
> > > running against an IO module and millions of these kind of devices
> > > have been sold. I think he implemented on Rasberry and I had some
> > > timing issue before running on ordinary computer but have not
> > > looked further because I have been busy with something really good
> > > for servos and looking for a new woman.
> > >
> > > Bandwidth required to replace an analog signal may be surprisingly
> > > high and for a control loop even though there are plenty of
> > > bandwidth it need to split in many small messages. Ethercat solve
> > > this problem in a similar way as cascade coupled shift registers.
> > >

> > > Nicklas Karlsson
> >
> > I think this might be right up PCW's alley. He is already selling
> > some cards that expand via an rj45 jack. Perhaps he could chime in
> > here as to the advantages and disadvantages of adapting the firmware
> > to be something like this, but call it something other than
> > ethercat.
> >
> > Changing the subject a bit while I ramble, we have some amazingly
> > cheap rs485 devices about, costing less than a buck each in bags
> > from ebay.
>
> Yes rs485 is a cheap and a very good driver. UART however have limited
> speed and not the least clock accuracy problem at higher speed. With a
> device with as many UART ports as needed this might be a very good
> solution, speed could also be adapted to cable length then long cables
> are needed.

Then one good uart, something that can run in the multimegahertz speeds,
later 16550's can, and some and gates to send or receive from that rs485
channel might be a lowercost item. I am doing this "chip selection" with
and2's in the G0704 since the charge pump is limited to one output and I
needed at least 2 just to softstart the spindle motors PSU. Otherwise
the power up inrush trips a 30 amp breaker in the service. there are
today, lots ways around that.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
The above content, added by Maurice E. Heskett, is Copyright 2018 by
Maurice E. Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)