On Wednesday 19 September 2018 05:37:10 Rene Hopf via Emc-developers
wrote:

> I agree that 2.8-pre is very stable at the moment, and works great
> with stretch. But as far as Im aware those features have already been
> tested by other people. A release is probably a very good idea, there
> are a few things I would like to address before: -
> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/246
> <https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/246> -
> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/470
> <https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/470> on trivkins machines
> there should be no axis setting. having 2 sets of vel/acc can be
> confusing(to new users), and lead to very strange behaviour if they
> don't line up. on stepgens, you also have to adjust the stepgen
> limits, so you end up with 3 values... - increase of tooltable
> limit(until my fix is finished), to something like 1000
> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/374
> <https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/374>
> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/314
> <https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/314> merge of spindle
> stuff like
> https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/354
> <https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/pull/354> and robs various fixes
> for spindle sync moves.

This one I've seen on my g0704. Doing a tap with a tap big enough it
can't pull it to full depth in one g33.1 with only a 1 hp spindle, I do
in a loop, by pecking it a fraction of a turn at a time, but the
miss-tracking if the backlash isn't set right on the money, results in
enough additional cutting to loosen the thread noticeably.

As for the speedup in reverse, can that not be calculated from the axis
in questions MAXVEL modified by the tpmm or tpi?

"Axis in question" can of course be other than z as I've turned the head
horizontal and used X on a few occasions.

On the stepper machines I've built, I have observed that the axis's speed
limit can be exceeded, generating a following error, stopping the
machine with the tap still in the hole and needing a bunch of manual
twisting and jogging of the axis to extract the tap w/o breaking it.
This was a serious problem for the original kit Z motor which was a very
slow 1600 ounce/inch 4 wire nema34. A 940 oz/in 8 wire and a $170 AC
powered driver took the Z MAXVEL from 22in/min to the middle 140's. A
much more usefull machine resulted.

I have also observed that reverse speed, given the same S speed is
actually slower by 10% even with very high Pgain values, something I can
use without oscillations now that I have a very high resolution encoder
on the spindle, equ to a tad over 7000 in high gear, and a tad over
14000 in low gear. Running master, this effect is seen in G33.1, or in
M3/M4/M3. Top speed doesn't seem to be similarly affected. 1450 in low
gear, 2900+ in high gear, which should eliminate the motor. What counts
is that it gets the job done. :)

<chrisinnana...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> I too agree with merging branch such as you named.
> >> I also am interested in merging qtvcp soon.
> >>
> >> My question is about merge strategy.
> >> Merging invariably will cause/show a couple bugs... that's really
> >> the point of master before release. It's been a long time since a
> >> release from master.
> >> We could release master before merging a bunch of stuff in - as it
> >> seems pretty stable right now. Or we probably should wait six
> >> months after merging major code projects, to clean up any bugs.
> >>
> >> my 2 cents.
> >> Chris M

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)