On Thursday 23 May 2019 12:18:50 am Robert Murphy wrote:

> Sorry for this second post......regarding latency, would this be an
> option
>
> http://www.machinekit.io/docs/hal/threads-and-latency/

This is an interesting little treatise. Let me suggest some further
development to allow it to determine the best configuration and
implement that variation, depending on the cache construction used in
the cpu it finds itself running on.

Another way to unload the servo-thread that I use on the pi running my
Sheldon is to setup a much slower thread, and move all the manual
control stuff to it, thereby reducing the size of the servo-thread loop
and its execution time. Not much use of the jog dials being handled much
more than 100 times a second, and thats a fairly complex bit of hal code
times 2. 100/sec is faster than one can turn the MPJA dials by hand and
still maintain control although I can run into the MAXVEL's set with the
dials when the jog size is set high. So I have that set for a max per
click of 20 thou, going down to .0002 thou.

I have other hal routines that report via pyvcp for such as the overshoot
and distance traveled during that over shoot when rigid tapping, which
lets me tap a hole to a small fraction of a turn from striking the
bottom of the hole and breaking the tap.  All that stuff is nice, but it
also takes the poor pi's cores a while to calculate and display.

Such "fine tuning" by the user shouldn't be discouraged, and should be
described in the wiki, or mentioned at least in the documentation.pdf so
the user can more easily be made aware of such "optimizations."

> On 23/5/19 2:16 pm, Robert Murphy wrote:
> > Could not the repos be setup from a preseed ? (I'm don't know a
> > great deal about the LiveCD but I did make a custom stretch install
> > disk ....for private use.... using a preseed file to config desktop,
> > extra packages and repos)

> >> I will work on this part.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)